Now is the time to plant garden gifts for the holidays .
Begin now and by Christmas Day your gift will have sprouted into a pot full of vegetable plants (lettuce, radishes, carrots, etc.). This decorative gift will grow throughout winter offering a small harvest of fresh garden vegetables.
Here is how we made our Holiday Gift Garden:
- Use a clean clay pot that is at least 1 quart or bigger.
- Cover drainage hole in pot with a stone, wood chip, bottle cap, etc.
- Fill clay pot (up to 1 inch from rim) with a rich blend of top soil & compost.
- Plant carrot seeds within a two-inch circle in pot’s center .
- Plant lettuce, spinach, radish & mesculah seeds around carrot seeds to pot’s edge.
- Cover seeds lightly with a thin layer of top soil.
- Using a mist bottle, mist with water until the soil is completely wet.
- Move to a sunny window spot and mist twice a day mornings & evenings.
- Thin seedlings after one month allowing other plants space to grow up.
- Continue watering as needed keeping soil moist but not wet.
- Tie a big ribbon of cord, twine, up-cyled cloth, etc. around the clay pot.
- Be sure to write and attach a small card with vegetable names and care instructions.
Thank you for sharing! – Jabbear
A simply green garden gift for family & friends.